The 7 best dumbbell workouts work two or more muscles at a time. Each workout affects the full body; thereby, helping you in weight loss and maintaining fitness.
Let’s watch the videos 7 best dumbbell workouts; talk to your gym/personal trainer for reps and sets as per your workout requirement. Please note each posture, the correct way of holding dumbbells, and the right way of performing each workout.
Best Dumbbell Workouts #1: Lying Dumbbell Pullover
Working your lats, pecs, triceps and abs, lying dumbbell pullover is a unique workout in its own way. Done generally on chest and back days, do not mistake it as a stretching exercise even though the “stretch” would improve/maintain your flexibility.
In fact, if you want, you can do lying dumbbell pullover daily after you complete your workout. My all-time favorite gym workout that I do regularly, I feel very relaxed when I do it after a sweat-drenched strength training.
- Your upper back should stay glued to the flat bench; never try to raise it
- Make sure not to drop the dumbbell on your chest or face; hold the dumbbell tightly but not so tightly that it would put stress on your wrists
How to do Lying Dumbbell Pullover?
- Lie on a flat bench with your back flat and feet firmly on the floor
- Hold tight one end of a dumbbell in your palms
- The dumbbell should be above your chest
- Now, take the dumbbell behind your head
- At this stage, your elbows should bend slightly
- Bring the dumbbell back to the start position
Best Dumbbell Workouts #2: DUMBBELL SWINGS
Working your abs, glutes, hams, hips, shoulders and back, dumbbell swings is a workout that need muscle control and momentum to perform. You don’t want the dumbbell to fly out of your hand and hurt someone or break the mirror, right?
Dumbbell swings increase your endurance and strength, and help you in maintaining your body balance.
- Never round your back; faulty posture would result in injury
- Feet should be firmly on the ground; your legs should not feel weak to balance your body.
- Your chin should be parallel to the floor
- Keep your abs tight
- Make sure the dumbbell does not fly out of your hand
How to do Dumbbell Swings?
- Stand with your feet open more than shoulder length. One dumbbell is ready in your hand. How you will hold it is shown on the video
- While keeping your back straight and chin parallel to the floor, bend your knee a little.
- Now, push your hips back and lean forward
- At the same time, swing your dumbbell between your legs
- With an explosive motion, bring your hips forward, and swing out the dumbbell to the level of your chest with both your hands (holding the dumbbell) stretched out
- Continue the swings
Best Dumbbell Workouts #3: Dumbbell Thruster
Working your legs, hips, triceps and shoulders, dumbbell thruster is an excellent combination of squat and overhead shoulder press. A compound, multi-joint workout, you can do it either with light weights (and more reps) or heavy weights (and less reps).
- Do not try to finish this workout in a hurry
- You can get cramps or muscle pulls, especially in your legs, if you try to finish squats with quick movements
How to do Dumbbell Thruster?
- With feet open at shoulder width and tightly arched lower back, stand with both dumbbells in a position as you would do military press
- Do a squat, return to your standing position and simultaneously, thrust the dumbbells straight up
- Return to your standing position
- Continue the squat and thrust
Best Dumbbell Workouts #4: Dumbbell Bicep Curl to Overhead Press
Working your biceps, triceps and shoulders, dumbbell bicep curl to overhead press can be done with either single or double dumbbells (whichever is okay with you). Raising dumbbells from lower level to higher level needs a strong core because it feels the maximum pressure.
Here, “Overhead Press” is actually Overhead Shoulder Press. This exercise is also called “Curl to Press.”
- Do not try to finish this exercise in a hurry
How to do Dumbbell Bicep Curl to Overhead Press?
- Stand with feet open at hip width and two dumbbells in your hands (one each)
- Do a bicep curl
- Then rotate your hands up and do overhead press
- Lower the dumbbells with reverse action
- Continue the curl and press
Best Dumbbell Workouts #5: Single Arm Dumbbell Incline Press
Working your chest, delts and triceps, Single Arm Dumbbell Incline Press will use your core as a stabilizer. Abs muscles help you to keep steady while doing this workout.
How to do Single Arm Dumbbell Incline Press?
- Grab a dumbbell and sit on an incline bench
- Now, lie back
- Using a single arm, drive up the dumbbell (palm facing in) and bring it down at your chest height
- Continue the up and down movement
Best Dumbbell Workouts #6: Goblet Squat
Working your hips, glutes, quads, hams, core and upper body, Goblet Squat is an interesting squat variation.
- Don’t drop the dumbbell from your hand
- Take a weight that you can handle
How to do Goblet Squat?
- Hold a dumbbell near to the center of your chest
- Stand with your feet open wider than shoulder length
- Now squat
Best Dumbbell Workouts #7: One Arm Dumbbell Row
Working your upper back, lats, neck, shoulders and biceps, One Arm Dumbbell Row (known as “lawn mowers”) will give your upper body a “V-shape”—well-defined arms and back.
- Make sure you do this exercise in the correct way
How to do One Arm Dumbbell Row?
Watching the video will explain all.
7 best dumbbell workouts are for everyone; try out the workouts; and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
All the best.